Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bucket Fillers

I had some questions about how I did my bucket fillers board, So I thought I would do a post explaining in more detail.  First of all a little background on the bucket filler program....

     The idea comes from a book...actually three books now...
 
     It's a great program that is based on the fact that everyone has an invisible bucket.  You can either fill others buckets (kind words, polite, etc.) or you can dip from them. We, of course, all want to be bucket fillers not dippers.  


     Reading the books is not enough for my dear little ones to grasp the concept.  We are bucket fillers by using slips of paper to write kind things to fellow class mates and "fill" their bucket on the bulletin board in our room.  It may be a compliment...it may be an acknowledgement of something nice that friend did.  

I started my board out by painting an example of the bucket from the books.  


I totally snatched my idea of painting Mr. Bucket from Mrs. Babbling Abby.  She rocked one last year for her classroom.

   My buckets are from oriental trading.  They are plastic so I can push a thumb tack into the back of the buckets to hold them on the bulletin board.  


       This is my board from last year.  It may look slightly different this year.

The buckets are labeled with student numbers. 


     I use bucket filler slips that I've found online.  I'm not comfortable sharing them or my signs because I didn't create either and can't remember where I got them. 


     I really like being "bucket fillers" however I have to admit that it can get a little stale throughout the year.  It's important to review the books and reasons and situations to fill buckets!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for doing a post about this! I am definitely going to incorporate this into my 4th grade classroom this year! Thanks for making it a little more clear to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about bucket fillers on my blog. I found links for a cute song and video skits. Check it out.

    Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete